How to Clean, Maintain and Care For Your Office Chair
Office chairs go through a lot of wear and tear. They’re one of the most heavily used items of furniture within a busy office, so naturally, over time, you will start to visibly see it’s usage.
However, it’s not all doom and gloom. While office chairs (especially heavy duty office chairs) are very resilient by their sheer quality of manufacturing, it’s still important to care for and maintain your office chair so it’s working at its maximum performance for longer - thus saving you money in the long run.
In this guide, we detail many of the common issues with office chairs and how to clean and maintain them for that particular issue. Let’s dive right in!
Why does my office chair sink?
The height adjustment feature on your office chair is enabled by the gas strut (piston). Over time this function can break resulting in an office chair that will fail to adjust in height, or will sink over the course of the day.
A frustrating issue, but one that can be easily remedied. Before you do anything, be sure to check your chair’s warranty. Should your office chair still be in warranty, call our sales team and we’ll send you over a replacement gas strut that will fix your sinking office chair issue.
If your chair is not in warranty, we can still send you a replacement gas strut, but at a cost. This cost is of course much cheaper than buying a completely new office chair.
A step-by-step guide to replacing an office chair gas strut:
- Lay down some material (tarp or newspaper work just fine) to protect the surface you’ll be working on.
- Turn your office chair on its side and tap the centre of the base with a rubber mallet away from the chair seat. The 5-star base should come loose.
- Use a pipe wrench near the top of the gas strut and twist until it releases from the chair seat. Apply a squirt of WD-40 if you are having trouble.
- Take your new gas strut and place the bottom into your chair’s 5-star base.
- Lift both into the bottom of your office chair’s seat and flip it over. All of the parts should now be fixed together correctly.
- Test out your new gas strut by sitting on the office chair and adjusting the height to your liking.
If you are having trouble with replacing the gas strut, call our friendly sales team (01234 834693) and they will walk you through the process.
How to clean a mesh office chair
Mesh office chairs are renowned for their high durability, but that doesn’t negate the fact that without regular cleaning, a mesh office chair can become unsightly. An unclean chair can become more prone to faults which will ultimately lead to a shorter life-span of the chair itself.
An office chair should be thoroughly cleaned at least once a month to keep its look and functionality at an all-time high.
- Your first step is to use a vacuum cleaner on the mesh office chair. Be sure to use a ‘low suction’ mode if your vacuum cleaner has this functionality. Use the vacuum cleaner wand or hose attachment to help you clean along crevices and hard to reach places
- Secondly, moisten a cloth and proceed to dab the mesh and any area that has lingering dirt or stains. Be careful not to drag the cloth over the mesh as this could fray the material. Dish soap is a useful product to help clean stubborn stains
- Thirdly, run a cotton swab under warm water and use this to clean any areas you found difficult with the vacuum cleaner and/or damp cloth
- Use a clean dry cloth to finish off your cleaning session, or leave your office chair to dry out naturally